Monday, May 7, 2012

The art of making people believe in themselves

If you have read this blog before, you know that I'm Rosetta's daughter Morgan St. James writing on her behalf. Rosetta had an uncanny ability to make people believe in themselves and what they could do. Everyone who contributed to Part II of CAN WE COME IN AND LAUGH, TOO? basically said the same thing. Even though she's been gone since mid-2006 her encouragement lives on.

Do you have to do something tough? Listen for a minute and maybe you'll hear an inner voice say, "You can do it, honey. I know you can." And you know what? You do. It was her undying belief that you were capable of anything that seemed to give any person she touched the ability to reach beyond their limits and come out the victor.

I keep her photo, the one on the cover of the book, above my desk and so does my sister Phyllice. Often we trade stories with each other and it wasn't surprising for either of us to discover that in times of stress we look at that smiling face and believe we can leap buildings in a single bound, just like Superman.

If you have a Rosetta in your life, you are one of the lucky ones. Unfortunately so many don't. Just reading her book is inspirational and if she could find a way to instill that indomitable spirit, she would do for you what she has done for us, even after life on this earth ended, in a New York minute.

Back in 1988 when I asked her to write her memoir, she said, "But, honey, I'm not a writer. You're the writer."

I looked her square in the eye, the way she used to look at me when she was about to impart her message, and said, "Know what, Mom. You can do it. I know you can." I threw her wisdom back at her, and the result was a wonderful tale of her early years and the way humor got her through many of the curves life sometimes throws at you in later life.

I have a busy week ahead, so thanks for giving me the key to accomplishment. The book got it's first Amazon review today. Check it out

No comments:

Post a Comment